Market Access Team Leader
Honiara, Solomon Islands
- Exciting opportunity assisting Pacific Island countries in their efforts to secure market access for fisheries products
- 3 year, full-time contract position with Pacific regional organisation based in Honiara, Solomon Islands
- Competitive salary of USD$84,202 including location and COLDA allowances, TAX-FREE for citizens of most countries
- A host of additional benefits such as insurance, medical, education and rental allowances
About the Organisation
The Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA) is an intergovernmental organisation working to strengthen national capacity and regional solidarity so Pacific island countries can manage, control, and develop their valuable tuna fisheries now and into the future.
Based in Honiara, Solomon Islands, FFA's 17 member nations are Australia, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
Since 1979, FFA has facilitated regional cooperation so that all Pacific countries benefit from the sustainable use of tuna – which currently contributes around USD $1 billion per annum to Pacific
economies through access revenue and contribution to GDP, and is important for many people’s livelihoods in the Pacific.
For more information about The Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency please visit their website here.
About the Opportunity
FFA now has a fantastic opportunity for a Market Access Team Leader to join our Fisheries Development Division. This is a full-time role based in Honiara, in the Solomon Islands. This appointment is made on a three-year term and may be renewable for a further three years subject to performance.
Reporting to the Director, Fisheries Development, this job has two major purposes:
- Supporting member countries in their efforts to secure/maintain market access for fisheries products and comply with the requirements of importing states; and
- Reporting to Members and FFA executive on market access issues pertinent to FFA; monitor new developments both in standards and technologies; and provide technical support in market access if and when needed.
Day-to-day responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Providing technical leadership and support to a small team of direct reports;
- Providing input into technical advice for access to global markets and in particular, the EU market;
- Informing members and FFA executive on developments in market access standard affecting fisheries products; and
- Liaising with all relevant stakeholders, both regionally and in-country, on import and export requirements.
The full position description can be downloaded here.
To be considered for this position you will have tertiary qualifications in Food Science or a related field and a thorough familiarity with sanitary and phytosanitary requirements; export certification issues; and the relevant experience to achieve each of the key accountabilities of the position.
We are looking for someone who is very technically competent, with solid knowledge of market access requirements into different global markets, in particular, the EU. You will need to be a good trainer, with excellent communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with and train Pacific Island people on technical issues.
Candidates with a background in fisheries market products will be highly regarded.
Importantly, you will have solid research, analytical and technical report preparation and presentation skills and strength in capacity building, leadership and how to handle difficult situations.
Please Note: Previous experience living and/or working within a remote or international location will be highly regarded. There is a large travel component to this role and the successful candidate will be required to regularly travel through the region.
About the Benefits
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking for a rewarding new career challenge, working with developing countries. There is no better opportunity than this exciting and varied role with a world leading organisation at the forefront of international fisheries management.
The Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA) is offering the successful candidate a competitive salary of USD$84,202 including location and COLDA allowances, TAX-FREE for citizens of most countries.
You will also have superannuation paid at 7.5% into either a nominated fund or as an additional cash supplement. FFA reimburses all reasonable medical, dental, and optical expenses for yourself and dependents. Insurance coverage is also provided for personal accident, life, medical & repatriation.
Education for dependent children will be reimbursed at 75% of tuition fees (Conditions apply). If your dependent child is educated overseas, paid school travel may be available for you or your child to visit each other once a year.
Accommodation assistance is also available.
Additionally, relocation expenses will be paid, with an establishment grant paid on arrival in Honiara. Annual airfares back to your country of repatriation will be provided, and a repatriation allowance of 2 weeks’ base salary on return to home-base at the end of your contract. There is also a retention incentive of 21% of your base salary which will be paid on the completion of your three-year contract.
On top of all this, you will have access to 6 weeks of annual leave each year, giving you plenty of time to explore this stunning part of the world!
Applications close 10.30pm AEST, Friday 27 September 2019